Hi everyone, my name is Katie! I’m a runner, cyclist, yogi, strength trainer, healthy chef, and dog lover, who lives life to the fullest! I am the owner of She Rocks Fitness, which specializes in personal training, boot camps, and on-line training. Whether you are a New Mom, a Bride to Be, the woman who wants to train for her first 5k, or loose those annoying 10 lbs, I will help you achieve these goals. She Rocks Fitness is about training hard, eating clean, but still being able to enjoy life and have fun! You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, & Pinterest.
Thank you Samantha for letting me write a guest post while you are away! Excited to connect with your readers! So let’s talk about 2 of my favorite things, when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle: Running + Oatmeal! They go hand in hand and they both make me happy physically, mentally, and nutritionally.
Running is my PASSION! I do it for so many reasons, but the main ones are that it is: a huge stress reliever. When I have a good run, my mind shuts off and I almost just daydream. It’s a wonderful feeling to be able to exercise without thinking about the actual work your body is putting into it. There are no excuses with running. All you need is your sneakers and the pavement. It’s inexpensive and the hardest part is always that first step out the door. I love the way it makes my body feel and look. I always feel my strongest and most confident when I’m training for a race or just focusing on building up my endurance. Being able to run strong, fast, and long distances is very empowering and always leaves me ready to tackle whatever the day is going to throw at me. I love it, but to stay healthy and injury free, I have learned to nourish and take care of my body, so that it will allow me to run. Yoga, strength training, and learning to fuel my body have helped me continue my passion on a regular basis. It has taken me a while to get to this point, but through experimentation and listening to my body, running is a regular part of my active lifestyle.
So how do I fuel my body when it comes to running? Everyone is different and like I’ve said before, it’s important to experiment and see what works best for you and your training. What works for me is OATMEAL! Oatmeal is my second PASSION (this of course is when it comes to healthy eating. I do also love wine, chocolate, and cake. HA!) Nothing beats a good hearty bowl of oats before my runs. I feel strong, full, and energized. Here are my 5 favorite oatmeal recipes that I absolutely love and eat on a regular basis when it comes to fueling up before a good run down the country roads of NJ. Try them out and let me know what you think! I’d also love for you to share your favorite oatmeal recipe. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
5 Fabulous Oatmeal Combinations:
1. ½ c oats, 1 T chia seeds, 1 sliced banana, 1 “heaping” T of nut butter, dash of cinnamon & vanilla (heat up ½ the sliced banana with the oats; then top the other ½ after…DELISH);
2. ½ c oats, 1 T chia seeds, 1 kiwi, ½ c strawberries, 1 “heaping” T of nut butter;
3. ½ c oats, 2 fried eggs. ¼ c beans, tomatoes, cilantro, ¼ avocado, and salsa;
4. ½ c oats, 1/3 c mashed sweet potato, 1 T agave nectar, dash of pumpkin spice;
5. ½ c oats, 1 slice banana, 1 “heaping” T of almond butter; 1 T unsweetened dark cocoa powder, and sprinkle of unsweetened coconut flakes
* I use water with my oats, but you can always use milk or unsweetened almond milk. I also love seasoning my oats with spices, so experiment and try different flavors out!